FCC launches $ 14.2 billion broadband program for low-income families
(TNS) – A new program will provide low-income families with grants to help cover the cost of internet service as well as provide cash for devices such as laptops and tablets.
The Federal Communications Commission Affordable Connectivity Program offers $ 30 per month for Internet service through a qualified provider. Eligible households can also benefit from a one-time discount of up to $ 100 towards the purchase of a laptop, desktop or tablet from a participating provider if they contribute to the fund. less $ 10 or less than $ 50 on purchase.
The program is the $ 14.2 billion successor of the Broadband Emergency Benefit which offered a subsidy of up to $ 50 per month for Internet services. This program, which ended on December 31, provided services to 9 million families.
“The response to the emergency broadband delivery proved what many knew to be true: The cost of high speed internet is out of reach for too many of us,” said the president of the FCC, Rosenworcel. “Now, thanks to the affordable long-term connectivity program, we have the opportunity to enroll even more households and ensure they can afford the internet connections they need for work, school, health care and more for years to come. “
To be eligible, families must:
- Have an income equal to or less than 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines;
- Participate in assistance programs such as SNAP (food stamps), Medicaid, Federal Public Housing Assistance, SSI, WIC or Lifeline;
- Participate in tribal specific programs, such as General Assistance from the Office of Indian Affairs, Tribal TANF or the Indian Reserve Food Distribution Program;
- Be approved to receive benefits under the Free and Discounted School Lunch Program or School Breakfast Program, including through the USDA Community Eligibility Provision during the school year 2019-2020, 2020-2021 or 2021-2022;
- Have received a Federal Pell Grant in the current award year; Where
- Meet the eligibility criteria for an existing low-income program of a participating provider.
© 2022 Advance Local Media LLC. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.